Sunday, February 5, 2012

Portfolio Concept

About a week and a half ago, I had to choose the rough concept I will be using for my portfolio project. It was a little tough for me to choose since my semi-adhd mind likes to chose everything over one subject.
At first I chose to shoot at the California spanish missions, but ended up not being able to come up with a way to convey them in my images.

I changed it to El Camino Real and was going to convey the pilgrimmage the spanish priests and other travelers used to make from the start to finish. While I was thinking that through, it dawned on me that would be a larger project than my class is looking for and would cost too much time and money that I dont cirrently have.

Just a few weeks ago, I was chatting with a coworker, who was a former photographer, and he mentioned checking out some historical theaters in Los Angeles. I thought about it for a second and remembered how much fun it was every time I take the Metrolink to Hollywood and look at Pantages. It also feels like a natural fit to document places I love to visit. I might get better work out of this.

So, my subject starting off this project is to document, compare and contrast the different architectural styles of theaters and music halls. I'm not sure where this will take me, other than to New York for a few days in April, but it seems very interesting and very difficult. I also seem to forget that my overall subject matter will change over time. I might have to settle specifically with movie theaters or maybe even music venues. Time can only tell.