Monday, January 21, 2013

El Camino Mission Submission

Before I start in with my subject for today, I would like to recommend a great blog for my fellow craft beer enthusiasts. Terms of Enbeerment. He gives reviews on new and different styles of beers as well as breweries and special events. Thanks!.

I'm still waiting on developing my three rolls of film from my most recent project And I thought I would let you all in a sneak peek at some of the places I visited on my little trip after Christmas.

One of the most important issues when setting up a project is to be specific. By specific I mean the lowest common denominator with your subject. I didn't really understand this point that my teacher tried to make when I was taking my portfolio class, and that ultimately led to my failing the class. It was a horrible failure, too. One that made me not want to return to the photo department of that school.

When I decided to take a mini vacation, I was thinking of all the different places I could afford to travel to. Las Vegas was my first choice, but then I thought about trying to find something to do there and realized how bad of an idea that was. Then, I thought back to my time in my portfolio class and remembered that I wanted to do something involving El Camino Real. Now that's an idea.

I scoured the internet for information on this incredibly old, and mostly forgotten,  path and how interesting it would be to drive it. I had never driven past San Jose either, so it would end up being a wonderful experience. The only problem was that it was just to darn broad of a subject.

I went back to the drawing board to be more specific on what I would like to document. Whats interesting, what interests me, and what do I want to get out of this trip. My second thought on a subject was the 21 missions spread out along this beautiful road. Even that was too broad of a subject! Then it hit me. Not in the way where I was walking down the street and I wasn't paying attention and I walked straight into it, but there it was in my picture set from Downtown Anaheim. There is a bell that is a road marker for El Camino Real right in front of the city hall!

Surprisingly, there are very few websites documenting the bell, with information or pictures of the bells at any of the missions. Each mission actually still has its original bell. Well, i think there are a few that don't have the original but they have a different one that was made by Caltrans or Southern California Auto Club in the early to mid 1900s.

Well, enough of my babblings. Here are some of my side shots from my trip. I think I have only about 12 of the missions visible on this set. I was shooting with film so I was more focused on that over taking digital shots. Plus my schedule was VERY tight. I'm amazed I was able to visit as many missions as I did.

About a block away from Mission San Gabriel.
San Gabriel, CA

Mission San Gabriel
San Gabriel, CA

Mission Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA

Mission San Gabriel
San Gabriel, CA

Mission San Buenaventura
Ventura, CA

Mission Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA

Mission San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, CA

That car is a BEAST!!!! On the road back from Mission Soledad
Soledad, CA

Mission San Miguel
San Miguel, CA

Mission San Miguel
San Miguel, CA
Under Mission San Luis Obispo. I guess this is where the bums go to sleep
San Luis Obispo, CA

I think  this one was taken at Mission San Miguel
San Miguel, CA

Mission San Miguel
San Miguel, CA

On the road to Mission Soledad

Mission San Juan Bautista
San Juan Bautista, CA

This cat saw both cameras around my neck and wanted its picture taken. And now its soul belongs to me!!! Bwahahaha
San Juan Bautista, CA

Mini Aquaduct built by the people who lived at the mission.
Mission La Purisima Concepcion
Lompac, CA

Mission San Juan Bautista
San Juan Bautista, CA

Mission Santa Clara de Asis
Santa Clara, CA

Mission Santa Clara de Asis
Santa Clara, CA

Mission Santa Clara de Asis
Santa Clara, CA

Mission San Jose
Fremont, CA

Mission San Jose
Fremont, CA

Mission Santa Ines
Solvang, CA

I started posting the pictures and realized I had Wayyyyy too many to digest on one post. Part two will come out this Thursday. Stay tuned!